Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Background: The first post.

The idea was spawned from a prospect to go to New Zealand to play Airsoft.

I play Combat Simulations (ComSims), a style of IR Skirmish that we've adopted in Australia. While IR Skirmish has a better range and accuracy than Airsoft (and, indeed, paintball), Airsoft has the best toys. Their 'weapons' are illegal here in Australia due to their extremely realistic look. However, it's the novelty that has made a few of the ComSims guys want to fly to New Zealand for a weekend of Airsoft.

To be honest, the thought of flying to New Zealand to play Airsoft wasn't that appealing. I really didn't want to go to all the effort to just spend a weekend in New Zealand doing a short-ranged version of what I can do in the Queensland heat. But, the prospect of spending more time there, exploring the town I grew up in (and still call home) spurred something in me.

I'm not a fan of traveling, and the thought of backpacking around Europe bores the tits off me, much to the chagrin of my best mate. He, and my sister, have been advocates of Europe since their (individual) visits years ago. I've always been more of a South America/East Asia kinda person. I'd much rather back pack around natural beauty and traditional cultures, than spend my time in castles and convenient public transport. But then I got my motorcycle license.

Things have changed since then. In February of 2010 I got my first bike and have been in love ever since. Now, with the proposed New Zealand trip only 12 months away, I've decided I'm going to focus on a motorcycle tour.

Here's a bit of info about me. I'm not a people person. I hate crowds, and I dislike social occasions. That's not to say I don't like people – I do! Just in small quantities.

When I was younger I did all the clubbing and partying that I could. But, now that I'm older, I'm more content to be in much more conservative surrounds. My motorcycle has helped enforce that as I can't even listen to the radio as I commute to work, so I'm comfortable spending time in my own head.

So, keeping that in mind, I should put it out there that I'm not against doing this tour with someone… but I'm not counting on it. Flying solo will give me the chance to spend time doing what I want (and need) to do. So, that's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment