Saturday, January 8, 2011

Mapping The Route


My copy of the Hema Maps New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas arrived through the week and I've spent some time today going through it. It's a very detailed collection of maps covering all of the main islands, with detailed maps of major centers. While I'm still considering a motorcycle GPS, this will definitely be making the rounds with me as a reliable back-up.

As I said, I've spent some time going through the 30 road rides that are detailed for the North Island, and have, so far, logged the first 6 using Google Maps. Here they are (I've used Tiny URL to make life a little easier)

Ride 1: A quick Auckland city highlights tour. http://tinyurl.com/39nfnyl. I'm thinking this might be a brilliant first day as it will allow me an opportunity to get to know the bike I'll be riding, without putting me too far from (whichever) rental company I choose that operates out of Auckland.

Ride 2: Auckland to Wellsoford (via Piha). http://tinyurl.com/2ck36b9. This starts me on my journey north on what I imagine will be my second day, and puts me in Wellsford where I will find a place to stay before continuing north.

Ride 3: Brynderwyn to Ahipara. http://tinyurl.com/26ovja3. Day three would see me heading north to Brynderwyn where I'd start my next phase. I'll hopefully be staying at Ahipara for two nights to use as a base for the next day's ride to the tip of the island and back (Ride 4), and the following day begin Ride 5 to my next destination.

Ride 4: Kaitaia to Cape Reinga. http://tinyurl.com/25mgnrw. Day four would have me leave Ahipara to get fuel at Kaitaia before heading north to the Cape. Unfortunately I can't ride along Ninety Mile Beach as (even if I was 'game' enough) rented vehicles are prohibited. I can see why.



Photo by Henry-White: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7299552
Despite the mapped route ending at Cooper's Beach, I'll return to Ahipara after my trip to the Cape, and will stay the night before setting off on the next leg, or possibly staying a third night to allow me to explore some more. I'm tempted to go for a squirt down State Highway 1 toward the Mangamuka Gorge.
Ride 5: Kaitaia to Whangarei. http://tinyurl.com/2dmhjou. Though listed as Ride 5, I think I'll make this next leg in two parts. Leaving Ahipara, I'll take in Waitangi, and Russell, before heading along the coast to Whangarei. I'll stay there for a night before heading down toward Auckland via the Waiwera Hot Springs, and some of the beaches and bays along the way.

That's where I'm up to as far as planning the trip is concerned. Going off that itinerary I'm already looking at 7 days, and that's only the tip of the North Island!

I haven't researched accommodation at these stopovers yet – that will come. As it is, each stage is looking to take up to 5 hours to complete – and that's without time allocated for stops (going from what's listed in the Atlas). So, I don't really want to be riding any further than that in a day if I can help it. Also, I've family up near Auckland (I think at Russell, I'll have to check that) and I'll be stopping in for a night and a fluid top-up with them, so that'll probably put my plans out somewhat.

Finally, I've just finished speaking to my Mum on the phone, talking about parts of Wellington where we lived. I'm really keen to get my folks over to NZ to join me in Paraparaumu to visit some of the old haunts with them. My Dad was intending on going over to visit his brothers, and I think my Mum was hoping to visit her sister while there. I'm just hoping they're willing and able to hold out to make part of the trip with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment